Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Community

Community: the word to define this weekend. 



I had the humbling opportunity to spend the weekend with a local family at the base of Mt. Meru from Friday to Sunday. Friday afternoon we showed up to their church to receive a SPECTACULAR choir/Maasai performance. I hope these videos work, if you would like to see more, shoot me an email and I can send you them or send you the recording I took on my voice recorder which will play on iTunes. Lemme know! 
Maasai choir
The Maasai don't use drums or any form of percussion,
therefore the necklaces and beads on their dresses serve as the beat
Jacob--he is 73 and I loved him. I wish I could speak Swahili just so I can talk to him

 We went home with a girl named Catherine (she's a music student at the University I take school--she is 28) and her mom. Catherine's father is working in Zanzibar and two of her siblings are in middle/high school at a boarding school in Arusha. The most moving thing from this weekend was being able to witness the peace and joy they had after Catherine's brother died 9 months ago at the waterfall we went to Saturday. She referred to him as her best friend, he was only 2 or 3 years younger than she was. Once we walked over a makeshift bridge and through some corn fields, we were spoiled with a delicious African dinner! We had some form of banana stew (which was surprisingly delicious) and the best meat I have had yet and lots of fresh fruit for dessert. One of their neighbors was there to help Mama Auera cook. We then sat around and talked and read a chapter of the Bible together before going to bed. Catherine read in Swahili out loud while we followed along in English. I loved the family atmosphere of those 30 minutes where we read and prayed. I hope that this will be something I will do with my family in many many many years from now.
The next morning we woke up and went hiking up the first ridge of Mt. Meru with all of us American students and at least one or two people from our host families. In total, there was probably 35 of us hiking up and down Mt. Meru to see the beautiful waterfall that was HUGE! This was a very, very humbling experience for me. This was one of the hardest and most physically challenging things I have yet to do. This was the first time I can remember not being able to carry my own weight. I was about a quarter up the most challenging part of the climb and didn’t think I could make it any farther. Some of the dads from the families were hiking in the back with us and just chugging along (because they have done this numerous times) while the rest of us were DYING! One of the men noticed my struggles and offered to help me by carrying my bag. It took some debating within myself before I became humbled and handed him my bag. That was the only reason I made it through the trip was because Lucas was willing to carry my bag. 
top of the ridge
The rest of the hike was pleasantly enjoyable as we walked along a ridge, through a pine tree forest, tasted some wild berries, and journeyed down the other side of the ridge, and then through the river bed. The river was an instant reminder of the creek at our ranch. It was such a wonderful familiarity that brought warmth to my heart. Then we saw the waterfall. Oh my, it was breath taking! It was HUGE, beautiful, magnificent. It reminded me of God's presence and the beauty I know He takes in His creation.
PINE TREES in AFRICA!
looked just like the creek at the ranch!
the WATERFALL!
huge and beautiful
Catherine & Catherine
We climbed up to the ridge in the waterfall!!!
hanging from a vine

wild berries I tried



 
the hills literally rolled
The hike back was just as rough, trying to climb back up the steep ridge on all fours and then collapsing at the top. We finally made it back home after a long walk back and everyone collapsed in the grass of Catherine's house. I also never thought my legs would literally give out until we were on the last part of our climb down. Some of the men bought us all sodas and required us to each drink one and eat a banana. I was somehow forced into drinking two. That night we had the best pasta I have had yet. We had spaghetti with tomato sauce and mmmm mmm mmm, it was yummy! Catherine had to go back to school to practice for her music exams & all of her aunts and uncles came over for dinner. We all laughed as we attempted to communicate in our broken swahili and their broken english. We read through some more of the Bible and hit the sack early because we were exhausted from our hike.

The next morning we went back to the church where the performance was held and attended the "short" church service that lasted a solid 2 hours in pure Swahili. The message was on the parable of the seed and the different soils it tries to grow in. We were caught off gaurd after we gave our offering that we were supposed to go up and give it 3 times total--we ran out of money. We then all walked to another families house where we were served the huge African portions of rice, beans, and meat. They all then walked us to the end of town where Mama Auera insisted someone come pick us up in her car and take us home. I told her we didn't have any money and she assured me not to worry that it was her pleasure. After all she had done for me this weekend, she still continued to amaze me. 

I was blown away by the selflessness these people had. They did not get paid for this weekend, Arcadia gave the choir some form of a monetary donation, but the families do not receive any money from the weekend.  Still, out of the graciousness of their heart, they fed us, gave us a place to sleep, laughed with us, shared their stories, patiently tried to listen to us butcher swahili, and make us feel as part of their family. It was so refreshing to be in a Christian environment and be in a home where the Bible and their beliefs were a fundamental part of everyday life. 

This week has been a trying week for me as it has marked my 1 month here and I feel a little disappointed in myself for not finding an organization in which I have completely fallen in love with and pour my heart out to. However, Wilson & Cody have graciously reminded me that I do not need to have my sights set so wide that my main purpose is not just spreading God's love to the East Africans, but more so making that my everyday mission to everyone I interact with on an everday basis. I feel like this was something I knew, but needed to hear it for it to truly resonate.

I continue to remind myself, this is God's 4 month trip, not mine. It is God's will I am living out, not mine. It is God's time I am given, not mine. It is God's words that I pray to come out of my mouth, not mine. 

Romans 9:17 -- I raised you up for this very purpose, that I may display my power in you and that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.

Joyfully His,
Cathy

PS: I just booked my trip in two weeks to Uganda. If you want something, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...