Monday, February 21, 2011

Hip hop a potamus & rhinoceros

   















it's like the tree from the Lion King

eating some corn we bought on the road

Howdy y’all!
I hope your weekend was delightful and that you are starting off your week with an overflowing joy coming from the Lord. My weekend was great, very tiring, but great. Thursday we visited the African Court on Human and People’s Rights. They do not do any criminal cases, only Human Rights. This is where  We went on our group safari to Lake Manyara and Ngorogoro Crater along with visiting a Maasai tribe. I was a little hesitant to go because I went on a safari in Kenya and I am becoming so anxious to have a weekend where I have enough time to make the day long journey to Mombasa. I am glad I went though, it was a completely different experience than my first. First off, because it is “rainy” season instead of “dry” season, everything is luscious and green. Secondly, I was able to see some of the animals I have not yet seen before such as the hippo & rhino. Third, we had a guide we called Babu (grandpa) who has been doing safari tours for years and years and years. He is an old Maasai with gray hair and a beard. If you think of an old grandpa who loves to tell stories, teach you things, and make you learn things for yourself instead of just get the answer from someone else, then you are thinking of Babu. I have put lots and lots of pictures up so you are able to see the animals!
African Court on Human and People's Rights
We spent Friday night at a campsite/lodge outside of Lake Manyara so we could wake up early the next morning and go to Ngorogoro. Saturday morning we were able to go to Tepilit Ole Saitoti’s Maasai village. He wrote The World’s of a Maasai Warrior which is one of the books we had to read before we arrived in Arusha. He has written another book and the movie The Man of the Serengeti was made after him. We met his family, consisting of many wives and children, and his sister who is now very old but was very influential in his life. His youngest wife is close to the same age as his oldest daughter. Maasai believe in polygamy because it is their way of life. For them, if they only had one wife they could only have a little bit of cattle which means not very much money to support themselves, their children, or their village. Therefore, they have many wives and many kids to take care of their cattle and the village. Christianity has been introduced to them and many of them have become Christians but the problem is still there about the many wives. Saitoti talked to us a lot about his life and the American influence and how he has used his fame and fortune to help out his community by providing water to their ENTIRE area, building a solid school, a corral for the animals, and the ability to give his children necessary education. He speaks english very fluently and hopes for his children to someday be able to go to America. 
Two big things I realized while I was there: I miss my friends at Bluebonnet Assisted Living and I want to be out in the bush with the people, not stuck in this city. I volunteered at an assisted living twice a week last semester in College Station and made some great relationships with some of it’s guests. I miss them dearly! After being with Babu and Saitoti’s sister, I realized how much I truly care about the elderly. I have so much respect for them and this feeling of awe and admiration that I just want to sit there and talk to them so I can learn about their lives. Also, I have been aware that I would rather be in the bush than in the city, but it finally hit me hard that I want to live out there with the people. I am not afraid of that lifestyle of simplicity and hardwork, if anything I admire it and want to be a part of it. Yes, it would be hard but I think it would be so worth it. 


Zebras and look at the HIPPOS!! 

he was so cool!



check out that gauge in her ear
Saitoti

Dada kwa Saitoti (his sister) 
Mama Frida, our assistant director

our house mom...Moira!
Maasai and cattle
The Lord provides and He is my stronghold and I am so thankful of that. I am so thankful for my parents and my family. I am thankful for the environment I grew up in and the morals they raised me with. Sunday was great, my roommate(Megan C) and I went to a coffee shop, then church, then to lunch and had a nice walk home. Two more days of school and it’s the weekend again! Praying for you!
me and the roomie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...