Thursday, February 10, 2011

The day the camel trip failed...

We all woke up extra early this morning to be ready to go on a camel safari where we would spend the hour riding on camels...COOL, right? Well we were in the bus about half way their and our driver got a call saying they couldn't take us today, so we turned around & went back home. We are hoping we can make it happen tomorrow.
It has been a great day though! We took our fabric we bought to a shop that is owned by a Ugandan lady from church and we are getting skirts made. We then got to go grocery shopping in the first somewhat normal sized grocery store I have yet to see. This was MARVELOUS. I bought apples, cheese, butter, snack mix, and pasta. I have been waiting for today to come so I could stop having eggs and toast for every meal. We then ate pasta at Maasai Cafe. I think it is just normal pasta with a gorgonzola cheese sauce which was pretty good. (Oh, the walk from the supermarket to the cafe was a good 35 minute walk literally all the way across town and we almost got hit 3 times). But they stop for us mzungus (white people), so don't worry! Then came home to a voicemail and email from Loriann which made my heart so happy.

I just wanted to share some verses the Lord has really used for me these last few days to be refueled.
Psalm 16:
1-2 "Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge. I said to the LORD, 'You are my Lord: apart from you I have no good thing'."
 How true is that, with out God I have nothing. I am so thankful that I know that I can take full refuge in Him. I would be lost and hopeless with out Him, searching for satisfaction and feeling ultimately disappointed after finding failure.

9-10 (the message): "I am so happy from the inside out and from the outside in. I'm firmly formed. You cancelled by ticket to hell- that is not my destination!" ---THERE IS POWER IN THAT!
  I don't know about you, but I find such joy and peace and hope in these simple promises. God cancelled MY ticket to hell just as he has cancelled yours. You won't ever get that ticket back, but even better-- we don't ever need that ticket. What an amazing gift that is to us!! Then after Loriann encouraged me to read 1 Peter, I was even more encouraged by the way these chapters just complement each other.

1 Peter:
1:7..."your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire- may be proved genuine and result in praise.
Sit and think about that for just a second.... Our faith, our simple belief in our Heavenly Father, is worth more than GOLD. Gold, which is a solid commodity in the world today. Gold, something that is only increasing in value. Gold, which can be used anywhere even when paper can't. Gold, which people traveled across the country or even the world to find so they would be rich. Our faith is worth more than all of that! Peter then goes on to agree with David ....

1:8-9:"Though you have not seen him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy.
The joy that I find cannot be explained, it truly is inexpressible. I find my joy in the Lord and he is the soul provider for my hope and happiness I have that provide for me day in and day out.

3: 14-17"Even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened. But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. ALWAYS BE PREPARED to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the HOPE that YOU have. But do this with gentleness and RESPECT, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil."  Or as the message says: be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are.
And this is somewhat random to add in here, but a much needed reminder: "Beauty should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

I know I am so blessed to be here and living what has been my dream for months now. We will be starting our volunteering next week after our director gets back into town. I honestly CANNOT wait to go into the villages or go hold the hands of the children of this beautiful city. Please be in prayer for me to see the Lord's guidance for this semester for me and that I will be patient and respectful to those around me. There are lots of opinions and we are all getting along, but at the same time we are learning a deeper level of respect for each other. I'm praying for you and I appreciate your prayers for me!

JOYfully His,
Cathy

1 comment:

  1. I liked seeing the pictures of where you are living. I think Lizzi and I would have compadability issues but good for you to share your personal space. How far away are you from Mtepani? Will you get to go see our kids there?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...