Friday, May 6, 2011

Nairobi

As I stated in my last blog, my parents came. After spending about a week in the Arusha area, we went  to Nairobi from Thurs-Sat. We played tourists and hit up all the big tourist spots! 
Thursday we went to the Nation History Musuem where they had a real elephant, elephant skeleton, giraffe, zebra, water buffalo, and wart hog that had been stuff so people could be up close to them. They also had a ton of small animals that were stuffed as well and a lion, cheetah, and leopard. In a different room was just about every bird that can be found in East Africa, stuffed with it's nest. Literally hundreds of them in glass cages. Upstairs was learning about the history of Kenya from colonial rule until now (minus the most recent election chaos). They also had a huge room on the different cultures and tribes of Kenya/East Africa.
I really want this painting... 
Friday we booked it. We started off at the Shedrick Elephant Orphanage where we met some nice missionaries from the Midwest US. One of them is actually getting married next week and is honeymooning in San Antonio! We quickly learned we had the same agenda for the day, so every place we went the rest of the day, they were there as well. 
The elephant orphanage is a home to baby elephants under 2 years old who have lost their mother due to poaching, disease, or natural causes. Some of the babies were found in pit latrines that were dug in the ground. The elephants came out in 2 groups, the babies and the toddlers (if you will). They each have a specific man who has taken the place of their mama. He has 2 huge bottles filled with human baby formula and the elephants GULP that stuff down! After they finished eating they rolled around in the mud, dirt, played soccer, followed their men around, and would come and hang out with the crowd. The elephants have to be fed every 3 hours!


Look how tiny the elephant is! He is wrapped in blankets because baby elephant's can't control their body temperature. He is 6 months old.
Cuddling with his handler
Did you know that elephants have amazing memories? If you blow into an elephant's trunk, it can remember you for 30 years. So their keepers do this so the elephant will remember them when they are released into the national parks. The keeper is able to go back out to the park at any time and the elephant will remember him. HOW COOL!


They loved "wrestling" with each other

Can you see his little tusks coming in?

Just relaxing

OOOPS! He fell down and had a hard time getting back up so...

he rolled over and played with his trunk in the mud. He kept using it like a snorkle

and then he was ALL cool.
 We then went to a giraffe park where the Rothschild giraffes are being mated and new babies are being born to help prevent the giraffes from becoming extinct because of poachers. Here I kissed a giraffe (fed it with my mouth) and we all fed the giraffes by hand on this little tree house type platform we stood on.





We then ventured onto the Karen Blixen Museum which is Karen Blixen's old house. You might remember her from the movie or book, Out of Africa. I loved seeing all of the old furniture, books, pictures, lace, clothes, and decorations. 



And we finished off the day at the Kazuri Bead Factory. In a way you could consider it to Shanga, but on a much bigger scale. About 85% of the women who work for them are single mothers. Shanga takes dirt and forms beautifully painted clay jewelry and tableware. This was where we said goodbye to our good friends. They were so fun to hang out with all day! We even happened to eat lunch at the same place! 

beads going through kiln first time

and third time after being glazed and "marbleized"
The wall hanging our guide had made, it was BEAUTIFUL

Dad and some of the men of the missionaries we met. The man in the middle is who I call Dad's twin. They were like the same person....

I want all of these.
 Saturday morning we had the huge blessing of being able to return to Rafiki. (Mom and I worked there in 2009- me for 2 weeks, mom for 3 and a half) Although many of the US missionaries had moved to different orphanages, all the kids were the same. Just 2 years older! Mom was SO excited to see her class she taught while she was there and to hear they are all doing great in their classes. They even remembered and sang for her a silly song about conjunctions that she taught them. It was great to know we were remembered when we would walk up to a group of kids and they would whisper, "Mrs. or Miss Bean!"
Mom & the boys from her class she taught!

David on the right, he thought Mr. Bean was SO funny when I would tell him about Dad in 2009.

Some of the older girls who took a break from volleyball to greet us

One of the cottage's art work
 And best of all, in my opinion, I was able to see Abel again. Abel was the newest addition to the Rafiki Village when we arrived. He was 3 years old and I taught his baby class, he is now 5, turning 6 in October. We connected. We were inseparable the whole time I was there. I fell in love with him. He is one of the smartest kids in his class. He said this week's memory verse for us (which was long), his ABC's, and the catechism of the 4th Commandment. When I told him I keep his picture beside my bed at home so I can see him every day, he had the BIGGEST smile run across his face. He did not let go of my hand the whole time I was there. Although I only saw him for a little while, I was on top of the world. 
He is still so tiny!
Dad, Abel, and I
Sunday, back in Arusha, we finished off Mom & Dad's trip with church, lunch, and a quick market stop. At church we had a little girl, the same one from last Sunday, come and sit in between us. Soon after, her two sisters came and sat behind us. Mom quickly found out they are orphans who live at this orphanage school called St. Jude's School down the road from church. They walk to church to hear about Jesus, have some chai (tea) and mandazi (similar to a donut), go to children's church, and get some love. 
We stopped by the Maasai market on our way to lunch where we bargained down prices and Mom and Dad bought some final gifts for the family. We then went to Maasai Cafe for lunch (best pizza in town in my opinion). We came home, packed and headed to the airport. Helafu, wazazi wangu waliondoka kwa Merikani (then mom and dad left for the States).

Dad's favorite driver, Chaz/Godi
 I thoroughly enjoyed all of the activities that we were able to do, but most of all I loved being with them and showing them what I have been doing and meeting some of the people I come to love so much.
I love you so much Mom and Dad! Thank you for coming to see me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for posting about your parent's visit! I LOVED reading about everything yall did and saw. This post in particular brought tears to my eyes. You are doing some amazing things Cathy, I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...