Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Memaliza

Today I am getting on the plane and flying to Nairobi, Amsterdam, Detroit, and then TEXAS! Yesterday was my last day at Mbewau and my last full day in Africa. I don't feel like today I am actually leaving and going home but instead just traveling to another city over here and staying there for longer. Please pray with me for safe travels and everything to be on time and smooth.

We were blessed to have the Hallmark team come and spend the day at Mbewau and be blessed by the beautiful children. They received a big welcome ceremony along with mandazi and chai. The team split up amongst the playground, classrooms, and music to interact with the kids and participate with them. 

I was able to go back to where Mary lives and say goodbye to her and the Kopo family. I brought my computer to show pictures from 2008, 2009, and since I have been here to Mary, Leena Kopo, Mary's husband, and about 10 other people who just kept trickling. It was so fun to have them sit in a huddle behind my computer and talk about who was in the picture and look at baby Mercy when she was learning how to walk and a picture of Lamech on Leena's back. The two women walked me back to the school which I'm sure was a funny sight. I was carrying baby Jane on my back in a kanga and Leena was carrying my big black backpack with a kanga around her head and as a skirt. When we passed people they told them I was their sister. 
The Kopo kids : Mercy, Lamech, Anna, baby Jane (  Frances was playing a game) and the oldest is at a different school for older kids
All of us! 
plus Mary!

How toilets are built.... this is going down across the street




I loved being able to joke around and interact with the staff there at Mbewau and talk about how far the school has come. At the end of the chapel program that was put on for our guests, Pastor Nzaro looked at me and asked, "Do you remember day 1? Because I do." I gave him a big hug with tears rolling down my face. 

Then the Hallmark team went to play a volleyball game with Rama's team he has created as a ministry for the church to young men. The team called Mbewau Magic is undefeated and go around playing other volleyball teams in the area. And of course they beat the Hallmark team in all 3 games and the games weren't close competition! It was a hoot. I stood there watching and cheering while playing with Dorkas, Nzaro's daughter Esther, and holding Dorkas' brother. 

Saying goodbye's were quite hard as this symbolized the end of my time here and the relationships I have made and only had grow closer through the years and even more so in the last few months. I am so thankful for all of the opportunities and experiences I have had. I hope to keep my blog going for a while longer, but from Africa I am signing out! 
Tutuonana East Africa, nitarudi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...